Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Blank Slate


In search of my mother's garden, I found my own. ~Alice Walker


Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

I have a blank slate to work with. I do not yet have a garden, I have a yard. It is a nice good sized yard. There is decent grass in this yard. There are two-four legged critters that run, chew, roll, and frolic in this yard. And I wish to make it more. I would like a place to enjoy a cup of coffee, a place to toil and nurture, a place to meditate and exercise calm and quiet.

The Plan

Plan #1 - Remember those four legged critters I mentioned? The ones that run and frolic? They have too much of the yard to enjoy and chew on. Their space is about to be dowsized a bit. So a secondary fence is being added within the already fenced yard with the purpose of keeping them out of MY half of the yard. Love my pups, but they get curious when they see I have dug a hole, and it is their mission to undig whatever it is I have buried.

Plan #2 - Start two flower beds. I have been saving cardboard for months now. This will help establish the base of the flower beds. The Sunflower Bed will be less defined, just Sunflowers scattered on the alley way side of the garden shed. I love my garden shed. In the front of the garden shed will be hundreds of Shasta Daisies enclosed with a white picket fence. I saw a picture like this in the Cottage Living magazine and fell in love. I like the idea of overplanting the sunflowers and Shasta Daisies and having hundreds of these flowers to gaze at and enjoy.

Plan #3 - Sit back, look at plans #1 and #2, and come up with the next plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment